If someone visited Router configuration, they can easily understand purpose of interface on Cisco Router or Switch with Interface description. An interface description can be used to specify important information like Bandwidth, distant Router name, a circuit ID number, a specific network segment or Service provider etc. Router interface descriptions are description commands that network administrators configure on each interface of a Router. It really helps the network engineer to find or remember and troubleshoot specific information about the Router Interface. The description file exists in Router memory but it doesn’t affect the operation of a Router. The Cisco Router description can be included by maintaining or by applying a format. The Cisco Router or any other Router description can be included the following things:
- Purpose of the interface
- Circuit ID
- Location of the interface
- The devices those are connected to the interfaces
- Service Provider Name
If Router having a description on each interface then it provides great opportunities to the support personnel to better understand the problems about the interface or included interfaces. The most benefit is that you can able to faster resolution of the problem. Find below step by step interface description configuration on Cisco Router.
Configure Interface description of a Cisco Router:
The step by step interface description configuration on a Cisco router is described below:
1. Enter into Router global configuration mode. To enter Router global configuration mode, you have to issue the command configure terminal from Privilege Exec Mode.
2. Enter the Router interface configuration mode of specific interface which you want to configure description. For example, if you want to configure the description on FastEthernet 0/0, enter the command interface fastethernet 0/0.
3. Now, enter the command description and then write the information which you want to display.
4. Now exit from interface configuration mode to privileged EXEC mode by pressing Press Ctrl + Z or with END command.
5. Now save the configuration by using the command copy running-config startup-config.
In below example I configured interface description on Cisco Router for LAN and uplink interfaces.
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#interface fastEthernet 1/0
Router(config)#interface fastEthernet 1/1
%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
Router#copy running-config startup-config
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Now you can verify interface description on Router by using sh interface description from Router Exec mode or Privilege Exec mode.
Router>sh interface description
Interface Status Protocol Description
Fa0/0 up up ##LAN##
Fa0/1 up up ###uplink###
Se0/0/0 up up
Se0/0/1 admin down down
NV0 up up
Filed Under: Cisco General
About the Author: