Now a day new laptops not coming with serial/COM (RS232) port that we need to access and configure the Networking devices using console port via Hyperterminal terminal emulator.
USB to Serial adapter Connection
USB to Serial adapter can solve this problem. Using USB to Serial adapter device you can create a serial RS232 port with easy and you can use it to access your cisco console via Hyperterminal. Find the below procedure to connect console port of Cisco device using USB to Serial adaptor via HyperTerminal.
1. Install USB to Serial adaptor drivers
2. Next check the drivers properly installed for USB to Serial adapter.
3. After Driver software installation, remove the connectivity between Laptop and Router, Reconnect it. You should get “ready to use” message right-hand bottom on your laptop.
4. Next go to the Device manager –> Ports –>check which COM port taken for USB to Serial Adapter converter in your Laptop.
5. Open the HyperTerminal software or Putty in your Laptop and select appropriate COM port. Next click on open.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 follow below links to use Hyperterminal or Putty.
6. Now you can use as earlier like with COM port.
Filed Under: Cisco General
About the Author: